#23: Awe & Wonder in the Garden of Eden
· Garden of Eden – Creation Story
· Book of Genesis 2 accounts: Genesis 1(zoomed out account) and Genesis 2 (zoomed in account)
· Poetic – Language of Love
· “We are dealing with a mythical language. In this case, in, fact, the term ‘myth’ does not refer to fictitious-fabulous content, but simply to an archaic way of expressing a deeper content.” (TOB 8:2)
· Original Solitude – Alone with God
· “It is not good for man to be alone”
· Man finds himself from the moment of his existence before God in search…of his own “identity.” (TOB 5:5)
· Our body reveals that we are created for relationship.
· Original Unity – Made for Relationship
· We find fulfillment in giving of ourselves to another.
· “…the sleep into which God causes the first man to fall emphasizes the exclusivity of God’s action in the work of the creation of the woman: the man had no conscious participation in it. God uses his “rib” only to stress the common nature of man and woman.” (JPII GA nov.7.1979)
· The first time Adam and Eve met: “This at last is bone of my bone and flesh of my flesh.”
· Which brings us to GS 24: “Man…cannot fully find himself except through a sincere gift of himself.” (Gaudium et Spes: pastoral constitution on the Church in the Modern World – Pope Paul VI 12.7.65)
· The joys and the hopes, the griefs and anxieties of the people of this age…especially those who are poor or in any way afflicted, these are the joys and hopes, griefs and anxieties of the followers of Christ.
· Original Nakedness – Naked without shame
· “They were naked and felt no shame.”
· This simply means no barriers to communication. Inner and outer freedom.